Thursday, March 13, 2008

St. Maria Goretti and St. Gianna Molla


Two more winners in our Favorite Saints contest are Karen Edmisten's daughters! The first entry is from "Betsy," age 11.

"Betsy" tells us about St. Maria Goretti:

"I really admire St. Maria Goretti because after a guy stabbed her, she still forgave him before she died. When I imagine myself in her place, I don't know if I would be able to forgive him, because he stabbed her fourteen times! But, I hope that I would be able to forgive him, if I were in her shoes. She forgave him because she wanted him to be with her in Heaven, and twenty-seven years later, he repented, and so probably went to Heaven! When I think of St. Maria Goretti, I know that I want to be more like her. "

Thank you, "Betsy" for sending me your reflection on St. Maria Goretti. I am very impressed! It's wonderful to know that you want to be more "saintly" and be more like St. Maria Goretti. I am sure that you are and will be a strong example to others when you too are forgiving. While striving to imitate St. Maria Goretti's virtues, you will also help others by your example to live a good Christian life. God bless you!


Our next reflection is from "Betsy's sister, "Anne-with-an-e," age 14:

"Anne-with-an-e" tells us about St. Gianna Molla:

"One of my favorite saints is St. Gianna Molla because she was pro-life and gave her own life for her unborn child. Gianna needed surgery for a tumor. The surgery would have hurt her baby, so she decided not to have it. The child was born perfectly healthy, but Gianna died a week later.

If in the future I am faced with the same decision, I would do the same thing. I am very glad that I have a model of that kind of bravery and love
."

Thank you, "Anne-with-an-e" for your reflection on St. Gianna Molla. I am also impressed with you! It's wonderful to know that St. Gianna Molla made such an impression on you and that you feel that you would choose to be as brave and loving as she was when she sacrificed herself to preserve her baby's life. God bless you!

Guess what girls? You both win a copy of my new Saints book!

"Anne-with-an-e" and "Betsy's" mother, Karen Edmisten had a sneak peak of my Saints book, Catholic Saints Prayer Book and offered me the following review:

"I can never have too many books about the saints, and here's one to add to my collection. Praying with the Saints is an engaging compilation of short biographies. Original prayers and lovely illustrations accompany the profiles of thirty-two saints, along with quotes from the saints and information on their patronage. With its pocket size, Praying with the Saints is the perfect "take along" inspirational reading."

Thank you very much, Karen. I'm sure you must be very proud of your girls!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your Blog :) God Bless you

Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle said...

Thank you, Christian! Feel free to send me your own favorite Saint story. Anything that you would like to share. You can send it to: DMCooperOBoyle(at)aol(dot)com

God bless you!
Donna

Karen Edmisten said...

Thank you so much! The pictures are so pretty!

God Bless,

Betsy

Karen Edmisten said...

Dear Donna,
Thank you so much for the book! I love reading about the saints. God bless,
Anne-with-an-e Shirley
:-)

Karen Edmisten said...

Donna, thanks for the books for the girls! I tried to leave you a comment on this post on Thursday night, but it must have gotten lost in cyberspace.

At any rate, thank you so much. We'll really enjoy the book!

Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle said...

Hi Betsy,

I really enjoyed your reflection! As soon as the books arrive I will send a signed one out to you!

God bless!
Donna

Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle said...

Thank you so much, Anne-with-an-e! I'm so glad that you like the Saints. They are our friends in Heaven! They realy can help us so much. Thank you again for your refection. :)

God bless,
Donna

PS I will be sending you your book as soon as they arrive. :)

Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle said...

Thank YOU, Karen, for sharing your beautiful girls with me and all of our readers! They are a treasure!

God bless,
Donna